Quick Guide to Algarve
It's easy to find great deals on cheap holidays to the Algarve throughout the year. Alongside the Algarve's lovely weather, it has become a well-established and popular tourist destination. The coast is just jam-packed with spectacular beaches, pretty towns, and buzzing resorts like Albufeira. If you hire a car from Faro Airport there are plenty of other treats in store too - such as quaint villages like Alte and the stunning views of the Serra de Monchique.
Fab holidays for:
Beach holiday, Winter sun, Cheap last-minute deals
Did you know?
Thanks to the Treaty of Tordesillas in 1494, the Portuguese Empire was given the eastern half of the 'New World'. This consisted of Brazil, Africa, and Asia, and made Portugal the first global empire in the world!
Other Destinations in Portugal
Other Nearby Destinations
- Almancil Holidays
- Armacao De Pera Holidays
- Carvoeiro Holidays
- Cascais Holidays
- Faro Holidays
- Lagoa Holidays
- Lagos Holidays
- Lisbon Holidays
- Montegordo Holidays
- Olhos D'Agua Holidays
- Porches Holidays
- Portimao Holidays
- Porto Holidays
- Porto Santo Holidays
- Praia Da Luz Holidays
- Praia Da Rocha Holidays
- Quarteira Holidays
- Quinta Do Lago Holidays
- Sagres Holidays
- Silves Holidays
- Tavira Holidays
- Vilamoura Holidays
You Might Also Be Interested In
Top 5 Beaches in the Algarve
One thing's for sure in the Algarve - the beaches are some of the best in the world! We've put together a list of our favourites - fancy visiting them all?
- Praia de Marinha, Lagos
- Praia de Marinha has plenty of cool rock formations that are characteristic on the Algarve coast. The beach is not very big, but as it's reached by a fair number of steep steps, it doesn't get the sort of visitor numbers you would expect. It's great for snorkelling, and you can also catch boats that will take you on a trip exploring the coastline.
- Praia da Arrifana, Arrifana
- Praia da Arrifana sits on the Atlantic coast and is a haven for surfers all summer long. There's not a large amount of space on this pretty beach, so you might have to think about getting a spot staked out nice and early. Alternatively, visit the nearby Arrifana Fort, have lunch and then head down in the afternoon to relax and wait for the sunset.
- Praia do Ancão, Vale do Lobo
- Praia do Ancão, Vale do Lobo is a sheltered beach surrounded by sand dunes in Vale do Lobo, popular with the Algarve's wealthiest residents. It's not the easiest beach to get to, but once you do you'll be able to soak up the sunshine in this blissful spot.
- Praia do Vau, Vau
- Praia do Vau, Vau is renowned for being the favourite holiday spot of former President Mário Soares. This beach boasts a winning combination of beauty and space, so don't be afraid to walk a little way in search of your own spot - it will definitely be a rewarding endeavour.
- Praia da Marinha, Lagos
- Praia da Marinha, Lagos is consistently rated one of the world's top 100 beaches. It's got all the quintessential Algarve good looks, with craggy rocks, aquamarine sea, and rocks that dot the water. Expect it to be packed in peak season, but be careful near the cliffs as they are suffering from erosion.
Algarve Beach Holidays
When a place has more than 150 beaches to choose from, it often becomes overwhelming. In this instance, however, we've done all the hard work for you - and chosen the best of the best for a beach holiday in the Algarve.
We would be remiss to not mention Praia de Marinha in Lagoa on the south coast of the Algarve. This photogenic stretch of sand has been the poster beach of all other strips of sand in the Algarve put together, and consistently ranked one of the best of Europe.
Praia da Falesia can be found 10 kilmoetres east of Albufeira. Backed by stunning white cliffs and vibrantly green pines, the three kilometre stretch of beach is popular with tourists and locals alike - and brings in the crowds to prove it.
Meria Praia in Lagos is lively town that attracts surfers to its shores and there are plenty of good bars and restaurants to start the party early in the evening. If you're still looking for some good surf, Praia da Arrifana is wildly popular and even houses a surfing school.
One thing's for certain, Algarve beach holidays are never the same from day-to-day (unless you fall in love with a particular beach and stay there for the rest of the time). Praia da Amoreira, however, in Aljezur belongs to the wildlife-watchers. It sits on the northern side of the river mouth of the Ribeira de Aljezur and is backed by sloping dunes.
When to go to the Algarve
Algarve holidays are most popular with us Brits at the height of the summer with July and August seeing a huge influx of visitors to all the resorts. If you're after a cheap holiday in the Algarve in these peak times then it's best to:
- Use our search tool
- Start looking early
- Make sure you book a great deal when you see it - don't presume it will stay around forever!
- Be brave and wait to bag a last-minute deal
But if you want to be a little easier on your bank balance, don't despair as the Algarve boasts some of the best weather in Europe - it's a great year-round destination. In fact, it was even where the Romans used to travel to see out the cold European winters. If you're looking to save money then why not try spring or autumn travel? March, April and May are much quieter, meaning that you'll be able to find a cheap holiday to the Algarve AND go up a little when it comes to the luxuriousness of your accommodation.
For an ideal combination of good weather and kinder prices look out for offers in September and October when the sun shines and the sea is still warm.
How to get to the Algarve
There is a huge range of package holidays in the Algarve which are offered by a wide range of travel operators from big names like TUI and Teletext Holidays, to smaller brands you might not have heard of before. You can find a holiday package to the Algarve with flights from London, Stansted, Belfast, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow. It is also possible to make your own arrangements for a cheap holiday to the Algarve by arranging your cheap flights to Faro with, for example, a cheap hotel in Albufeira, or a cheap hotel in Vilamoura.
Wherever you want to end up, the main airport for all cheap holidays in the Algarve is Faro, so expect this air hub to be the start of your holiday. There are a variety of ways you can travel onwards from here, with trains, buses, shuttle coaches and taxis all available as well as a wide range of car hire options from Faro Airport.
What to do in The Algarve
With such a huge range of cheap holidays to the Algarve available, you'll have the luxury of deciding where you want to go, which is probably going to be based on what you want to get up to whilst you're there. If you're after a traditional package holiday then look at the resorts such as Lagos, Albufeira and Alvor. Here you will find plenty of beach space, lots of all inclusive hotels in areas such as quarteira, and a great range of bars and restaurants with plenty of ways to while away your nights into the wee hours with a drink or three. Daytimes can see you enjoying a range of watersports like banana boats too. If you want to venture to the east of Faro you will find a completely different experience. This stretch of the coastline is much quieter with fewer resorts and those that are there are much smaller and quieter. Here you will find plenty of charming little fishing villages, quaint towns and picturesque places to wander.