Quick Guide to Bulgaria
Bulgaria is a country full of contrasts - it attracts beach lovers and skiiers, cultural explorers and all-night clubbers, and foodies as well as backpackers. Beach holidays, city breaks or ski getaways are all possible!
Cheap holidays to Bulgaria pack a punch for such a small country. With dramatic mountain scenery, sandy beaches bathed that hug the Black Sea, and historic towns brimming with things to be learnt, you've got your hands full if you want to discover its every nook and cranny. And the food? Well, that's on a whole other level. Kebapcheta, kufteta, and ayrian are tasty local dishes made with fresh, organic ingredients.
But the best bit of all? It's one of the easiest places to snag a bargain holiday in Europe - last minute deals are plentiful.
Fab holidays for:
Great-value skiing, Charming cultural towns, Sleepy days by the beach
Did you know?
The price of one kilo of pure Bulgarian rose oil, used worldwide by the perfume industry, is equal to the price of gold!
Other Destinations in Bulgaria
Other Nearby Destinations
You Might Also Be Interested In
Top 5 Things to Visit in Bulgaria
- Aleksander Nevski Church
- The Aleksander Nevski Church is a massive, stunningly beautiful structure erected in memory of the 200,000 Russian soldiers who died fighting for Bulgaria independence in the Russo-Turkish War. It was built between 1882 and 1912 and has become a symbol of the country itself.
- Rila Monastery
- Rila Monastery has become Bulgaria's most renowned monastery and with the view it provides of the forested valleys surrounding Rila Mountains, it's not hard to see why. As it attracts both locals and tourists, be prepared for crowds on the weekends.
- Tsarevets Fortress
- Head to the city of Veliko Tarnovo to take in the sight of the Tsarevets Fortress, home to the Bulgarian Tsars from 1185 - 1396. With the remains of 400 houses, 18 churches, the royal palace and even an execution rock, you'll have plenty to explore.
- Balkan Mountains
- The dramatic scenery of the Balkan Mountains is something else, and it's not all natural beauty. You can travel through the Forebalkan and the Central Balkan National Park, 13th to 15th century monasteries, two architectural reserves and even an open air ethnographic museum called Etura.
- Towering over the town are sandstone and limestone formations lovingly nicknamed with titles such as the 'Monks' and 'Adam and Eve'. The Belogradchik rocks stand over 200 metres tall and cover an impressive 90 square metres around the town.
How To Get To Bulgaria
There are four airports that receive flights for Bulgaria Holidays. The largest airport is in the capital, Sofia and it's served by a wide variety of airlines that offer cheap Bulgaria flights. The other airports are at Varna and Bourgas, the party capitals of Bulgaria. The fourth airport is at Plovdiv, the second biggest city in Bulgaria and once the capital of the Bulgarian Empire. To get from the airport to the hotels at Sofia and Varna it is best to use one of the contracted taxis.
Ski Holidays in Bulgaria
Bulgaria has long been known for it's great value ski holidays. Not only can you find a great deal on your summer holiday but you can also uncover fantastic offers to the country's ski resorts. There are three main ski areas - Bansko, Borovets and Pamporovo. If you are a beginner Bulgaria offers you a low cost way to learn to ski. If you are focused on low cost apres ski, Bulgarian ski resorts also deliver. Winter flights operate into Sofia and from there you can either hire a car or take a transfer. Check if your package holiday includes either option.
Where To Stay In Bulgaria
The type of accommodation you choose is likely to reflect your preferred type of holiday but if you're just looking for a bargain, you're in luck as there are plenty of cheap hotels to be found. In Sofia there is a range of districts that will cater for those who are looking for something cultural or something centred on partying. In Varna there are plenty of hostels for the footloose. There is also a good range of midsized hotels located near the coast if you fancy getting away from it all. Finally, there are some big resort style, all inclusive hotels in places like Sunny Beach and Golden Sands.