Quick Guide to Croatia
Croatia is a stunning country with natural attractions as well as historical ones - Roman amphitheatres, medieval walled cities and more are awaiting you in 2017. Whether you're after city breaks, island hopping holidays or want to explore some of the astonishingly beautiful areas inland, booking a cheap Croatia holiday should be high on your list of things to do. There will be plenty of holiday deals in that will be more than tempting, from Split to Dubrovnik and Trogir and back again!!
Fab holidays for:
Island hopping, Music festivals, Historic cities
Dubrovnik, Split, Zagreb and Zadar
Did you know?
If Croatia looks a little familiar to you, it may be because of its starring role in Game of Thrones. Dubrovnik has been King's Landing on the TV show, and many other scenes are filmed nearby.
Other Destinations in Croatia
Other Nearby Destinations
You Might Also Be Interested In
Top 5 Things to Do in Croatia
Croatia is fast becoming a must-visit destination and it's not hard to figure out why. Not only is it stunningly beautiful but it's history, architecture, and countless exciting events have charmed the world over.
- Rave it up in a palace
- Diocletian's Palace is the centre of bustling activity in Split. Within its towering fortresses you'll find countless bars, restaurants and shops. Where else in the world can you say you went on a pub crawl in a palace?
- Walk around Zagreb
- Croatia's capital can be easily experienced on foot and luckily, it's a pretty nice way to see everything. With its Austro-Hungarian architecture, leafy parks and bustling squares, there's always something on display. Pay a visit to the unusual Museum of Broken Relationships to have a look at what people donated.
- Ride a cable car to Mount Srd
- Dubrovnik is a stunning city and the best way to see it is atop Mount Srd. Take in the panoramas of this famed walled city and the impossibly blue waters of the Adriatic ocean.
- Island hop around the islands
- There are plenty of ferries that will take you around the islands - after all, there are over one thousand. Try out the Elafiti Islands (of which there are six) or the three most popular in the archipelago, Kolocep, Lopud and Sipan.
- Watch a movie in a Roman ampitheatre
- There are plenty of amazing Roman sites to feast your eyes on but Pula's well-preserved amphitheatre hosts a range of activities from cinema showings to concerts and festivals.
Other Activities Around Croatia
From the waters of the Adriatic to World Heritage sites splashed around the mainland, and beautiful mountain regions, Croatia is packed with activities for a 2018 holiday!
For history buffs, there's the Cathedral of St Domnius in Split, the oldest Catholic cathedral in the world. At Pula, catch a glimpse of the Roman amphitheatre that overlooks the harbour, and don't miss out on the Byzantine Euphrasian Basilica in Poreč.
Croatia is a sun-seeker's delight. Some of the best islands for a beach holiday include Krk, Rab and Pag - where you'll find famed party beach Zrce. Bacvice beach is great for families, and there are also plenty of places to kayak, dive, jet-ski and surf if you want to work up a sweat.
The Croatian Museum of Naïve Art is filled with more than 1,900 works of art by artists without formal training. The Modern Gallery in Zagreb features 19th- and 20th-century works by Croatian artists, while the spooky Museum of Torture houses instruments of torture that have been used over centuries.
Croatia has plenty of walks for all skill levels. Hit up the Medveđak hiking trail, which weaves through the Plitvice Lakes or, for something more challenging, the 50-kilometre Premuzic Trail will take you through the Velebit mountain range.
On the waterfront at Zadar, you'll find a series of tubes under a set of marble stairs. As the waves wash into the tubes, harmonic sounds play, creating melodies at random.
When to go to Croatia
If you want a summer holiday in Croatia in July and August, expect to pay a little more to get the best of the weather. If price is more important, try May and June or September and October for a cheap holiday to Croatia or try and bag a cheap last minute deal. Winter temperatures never drop very low so you could consider a Croatia city break at this time of year to take advantage of cheap flight and hotel rates. Whatever time of year you are travelling use our holiday comparison search tool at the top of this page to see who has the best prices and offers available for the dates you are looking to travel.
How to get to Croatia
You certainly won't struggle to find a package holiday in Croatia, although these are mostly for beach resorts. Look out for names like TUI and Thomas Cook if you want to know extras like transfers and checked in luggage are included. With the recent growth of the independent travel sector in this part of the world, you can also sort out your cheap flights to Croatia and find hotel deals in Croatia to tailor make your own trip. The best bargains can be found in the off season summer months of May and September. The number of flights drop in October so you see less availability from fewer airports. We'd also suggest you check the temperatures as it is certainly cooler at this time of year.