Quick Guide to Ljubljana
Many people think about taking their 2018 breaks at the usual holiday spots, but maybe it's time to venture somewhere in Eastern Europe relatively untouched by mass tourism. That place is the capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana. There are no world-famous attractions here, but that can also be a good thing as you won't feel the pressure of having to tick off a list of must dos.
That doesn't mean there's nothing here though, quite the opposite. There is a quite magnificent hilltop castle, whilst there is a scenic Old Town set along the pretty Ljubljanica River and some interesting museums and galleries to explore in the nineteenth-century quarter of the city.
The city has a youthful character that stems from from the large university and has led to Ljubljana becoming increasingly popular with nightlife seekers, although there is plenty to do here for all ages.
Fab holidays for:
New adventures, Scenic surroundings,
Did you know?
The symbol of Ljubljana is a dragon. Personally we can't think of a much better symbol ourselves.
Other Destinations in Slovenia
Other Nearby Destinations
You Might Also Be Interested In
What To Do In Ljubljana
- Tivoli City Park
- The largest park in Ljublana is located on the outskirts of the Centre District and makes for a peaceful stroll along the lawns and wooded areas. In the summer, make sure to take a picnic or hire a bike and ride around the park.
- Ljubljana Cathedral
- Originally a Gothic church, in the 18th century it was replaced by a Baroque building. It's has a white and green dome which make it instantly recognisable in the city.
- Triple Bridge
- The bridges were designed by Joze Plecnik and consist of three separate picturesque bridges located next to one another. They are the most crossed bridges in the city and connects with the Old Town and the market.
- Ljubljana Castle
- One of the main sights in Ljubljana, it is a mighty medieval fortress. If you're visiting there, be sure to take a stroll around the pretty grounds and enjoy stunning views over the city.
- National Gallery
- The gallery exhibits two important permanent collections that include work of the best Slovenian painters. It is also possible to see a restored original of the Robba Fountain, a monument of national cultural heritage in Slovenia.
How To Get To Ljubljana
Your cheap flights to Ljubljana will arrive at Joze Pucnik Airport, which is located twenty seven kilometres north of the city. From here, you can get a public bus to the centre. With many low cost carriers now featuring the city on their route list it has opened the destination up so that many more operators offer a flight and hotel option as a citybreak. Other options for transport into the city include arriving by train or coach, from numerous European destinations. Upon arrival, you can continue to use public transport or travel by car, if you pick up some cheap Ljubljana car hire.
Where To Stay In Ljubljana
You will find that many holiday companies will package a flight and hotel together to combine to give you a holiday price. This means you can get the flexibility you need and also allows you to get a cheaper deal by being able to pick and choose. In general if you are after cheap holidays to Ljubljana, then you're in luck with this destination. The city's popularity as a backpacking destination has encouraged the establishment of many hostels and cheap hotels, which means there are plenty of options for those on a budget. There are also, however, a number of mid-range and more upmarket accommodation possibilities for those with a more liberal budget, most of which are centrally located and, therefore, convenient for getting out by day and night.