Quick Guide to Zante
Also known as Zakynthos, Zante is the most southerly of the Ionian group of islands and the spectacular beaches and stunning scenery are considered to be some of the finest in all of Greece. Dramatic sea caves and towering white cliffs give way to soft white beaches, some of which are nesting sites for Loggerhead turtles. Beach lovers won't want to go any further than basking in the sun on a summer holiday in Zante but you could also explore the interior in spring to avoid the crowds.
Zante is also notorious for its party scene, and parts of it like Laganas draw in a fair amount of young tourists in the summer months. But there's also plenty to do and see for young couples and families who wish to steer clear from the lively neon-lit strips, like visit its national park on the south-western coast, or head to one of the island's waterparks to cool off.
Fab holidays for:
Buzzing clubs, Loggerhead turtle spotting, Stunning beaches
Zante International Airport
Did you know?
Zante is one of the largest islands in the Ionian Sea and is second only to Corfu in the amount of visitors it attracts.
Other Destinations in Greece
Other Nearby Destinations
You Might Also Be Interested In
Top 5 Beaches in Zante
Zante beaches are stunning but there are some particular ones you're going to want to pay a visit.
- Tsilivi Beach
- With rolling hills and leafy olive groves surrounding its white sands, Tsilivi Beach makes for a pretty picture. Plus, waters are clear and there are plenty of snack bars and restaurants to grab a bite to eat which means even more beach time!
- St Nicholas Beach
- Water sports aficionados should report to St Nicholas Beach immediately. On the south of the island, banana boats whir across the seas and ringo riders screams of delight are heard all day long. There's also water-skiing, paragliding and canoeing available.
- Smugglers Cove
- You can only get to Smugglers Cove by boat but it's more than worth the trip. With insanely blue waters and a pale strip of sand framed by towering cliffs, it's one the most photographed sights on the island.
- Laganas Beach
- Known as one of the liveliest resorts in Zante and its beach is no different. The whole nine kilometre stretch of sand is peppered with ice cream stalls, souvenir shops, restaurants and cafes. Tread carefully as there's probably someone sleeping underfoot, trying to recover from last night's antics.
- Gerakas Beach
- It may be an hour and a half drive to the south but turtle lovers can't pass up the opportunity to visit the only turtle conservation centre on the island. To see these adorable critters, stop off at Kalamaki Beach - it's a magnet for Loggerhead turtles.
How to get to Zante
Since it's been a favourite sun destination for years, cheap holidays to Zante are easy to find. Either book your flights to Zante separately from your accommodation or let us do the hard work and book a Zante holiday package using our search. Flying to Zante from the UK takes just over three hours and the island is served by all the major tour operators from a variety of London and regional airports. For simplicity, book your package holiday in Zante to include transfers.
Money Saving Tips
Look out for cheap deals, either last-minute holidays or early booking for summer 2017 are likely to save you the most money if you're after a holiday package to Zante. You may find it cheaper to book an independent holiday in Zante. There are lots of self catering villas in the interior of Zante, but still a short drive from Laganas or Tsilivi. Another way to save is to catch a ferry into Zante - they depart from Killini on the Greek mainland.
Top Things to do in Zante
As well as the famous Smugglers Cove, a popular filming spot, there trips to the Blue Caves, where you can snorkel through fascinating rock formations and Marathonisi, also known as Turtle Island. This is a great place for a family families and offers a great insight into turtle nesting behaviour.
For fun-fuelled family days out in Zante, there's Tsilivi Waterpark, on the east of the island. And if you're looking for a romantic and peaceful spot to take a loved one, Keri's Lighthouse offers spectacular views across the ocean. For Zante nightlife, the most popular resort is Laganas, where the main strip fills up at nightfall and revellers party here until dawn.
Free Things to do in Zante
There are plenty of free activities to get involved with on the island. Smugglers Cove is one of the most famous attractions in Zante, but you don't have to pay for a boat trip to go and see this white shelf of sand cradled by limestone cliffs. If you don't mind looking into the aquamarine waters at its edge from a distance, you can visit the viewing platform above and take some mesmerising photos. Then there's snorkelling in the crystal clear sea surrounding the island, where you can spot an array of wildlife including turtles. There are also a handful of churches, monasteries and museums which are well worth visiting if you want to learn of Zante's history and culture.
When to go to Zante
If you're after a summer holiday in Zante, be sure to book early. The popularity of this island in peak times is due to wonderful weather in July and August, but that does mean that the prices are much higher at this time. If you want a cheap Zante holiday, consider travelling in September, October, May and June, when the sun's heat is a little less intense. To save on the pennies, consider a self-catering hotel in Zante.