Quick Guide to Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura is the Canary Island most frequently visited by water sports enthusiasts and there's a very good reason for that. Strong winds on its coastlines and some great surfing spots bring windsurfers, kite surfers and surfers to the island.
Don't worry if you prefer dry land though - Fuerteventura holidays are not exclusively for water sports nuts. In fact, why not party with the locals at one of the biggest events in 2017? The February Carnival, November's International Kite Festival and New Year's Eve are the main events in the calendar. It's a great choice for sunshine all year round, whether you're after winter sun or a summer holiday - holiday deals are always plentiful.
Fab holidays for:
Year-round sunshine, Long sandy beaches, Wind surfing
Fuerteventura El Matorral Airport
Did you know?
Fuerteventura was divided into two kingdoms before the Europeans arrived. You can still see the ancient remains of the wall that once divided the island.
Other Destinations in Spain
Other Nearby Destinations
- Agadir Holidays
- Casablanca Holidays
- Corralejo Holidays
- Costa Caleta Holidays
- Costa Calma Holidays
- Costa de Antigua Holidays
- Gran Canaria Holidays
- Jandia Holidays
- Lanzarote Holidays
- Las Playitas Holidays
- Marrakech Holidays
- Morocco Holidays
- Morro Jable Holidays
- Nuevo Horizonte Holidays
- Playa del Esquinzo Holidays
- Puerto del Rosario Holidays
- Tarajalejo Holidays
You Might Also Be Interested In
Top 5 Beaches in Fuerteventura
With 152 beaches, there's no way you could possibly experience them all. Just make sure you don't miss out on a visit to the island's most stunning options.
- With 17 pristine miles of beach, there's plenty of room to lay out on Sotavento beach. While it's an ideal swimming spot, it's a popular, go-to area for surfers and kit-surfers thanks to the steady winds.
- Corralejo is a six-mile beach in the northern part of the island. It borders a national park with crystal white sand dunes that were so beautiful it became a protected area.
- Go off-road on a 20-kilometre-long dirt track to Cofete. A secluded spot with just the Jandia mountains as company, it's the place to go to escape the crowds.
- El Cotillo
- While there are plenty of sheltered lagoons for swimming, El Cotillo's beaches are internationally renowned to be the place to visit for windsurfers and kite boarders.
- Lobo Island
- A mere 10 minute ferry ride from Corralejo, plan a day trip out to incredible Lobo Island. The whole area is a nature reserve, and for good reason. Jump into the crystal clear waters which are teeming with fish. If you've got some extra energy to burn, climb up Caldera de la Montana to see the island in all its glory. And don't forget to bring a camera!
What to do in Fuerteventura
You can guarantee that your cheap holiday to Fuerteventura won't be short on sand! The island has 152 beaches and pretty much the whole of the rest of its surface is made up of the golden stuff too.
One of the main attractions is the sand dunes. You can see plenty of them in the Corralejo Natural Dunes Park which you can explore on foot or by camel.
For those looking for a party, Fuerteventura may seem a little tame thanks to the conservative Catholic standards. However, that's not to say you can't let your hair down. The main resort centres offer plenty of nightlife although it's more laid back entertainment, aimed at the water sports bunch rather than the excesses of the Tenerife clubs.
The guaranteed sun in Fuerteventura continues to pull the tourists in. It's the ideal destination for a last minute trip in the winter, when you feel like you haven't seen the sun in years.
Getting around Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura is one of the most sparsely populated islands in the Canaries. Outside of the main tourist centres of Corralejo, Caleta de Fustes, Costa Caleta and Morro Jable, the island's low rise, white-washed villages remain relatively unspoilt, while the capital, Puerto del Rosario, is also worth a look. There is also a handful of smaller purpose-built resorts like Costa de Antigua and Nuevo Horizonte. Luckily it's easy to explore all the island has to offer with cheap Fuerteventura car hire.