Quick Guide to Lyon
Built around nine neighbourhoods, you'll find Lyon - France's third largest city. Paris may be the capital and the biggest draw in the country, but overlook Lyon and you'll miss a city that deserves attention for its thriving prosperity and historic culture. There's a lively social scene filled with eclectic nightlife, whilst foodies will delight at the gastronomic affairs on offer.
Fab holidays for:
City seekers, Foodies, Nightlife lovers
Lyon-Saint Exupéry Airport
Did you know?
Lyon is the birthplace of Cinema.
Other Destinations in France
Other Nearby Destinations
- French Riviera Holidays
- Cannes Holidays
- Nice Holidays
- Corsica Holidays
- Disneyland Paris Holidays
- Marseille Holidays
- Val D'Isere Holidays
- Bordeaux Holidays
- Espace Killy Holidays
- Tignes Holidays
- Les Deux Alpes Holidays
- Morzine Holidays
- Flaine Holidays
- Toulouse Holidays
- Chamonix Holidays
- Lourdes Holidays
You Might Also Be Interested In
What To Do In Lyon
The oldest area of the city is protected as a site of importance by UNESCO, so if you have never been on Lyon holidays in the past make sure you give it a look. The quality food available throughout France hits a peak in Lyon where competing restaurants offer fine dining at affordable prices. With many museums, an aquarium and regular exhibitions of the arts there will always be something to occupy your attention whilst immersing you in the local culture.
Cinema is universally enjoyed and as Lyon is the birthplace of it, we've selected our top five places to catch a show in. Whether its an American blockbuster or quaint French film, you'll be able to find it.
- Institut Lumière
- This museum shows a series of independent masterpieces and is also where the first movie in history was shown.
- UGC are one of the more popular cinema companies in Lyon and show a range of foreign movies in their original versions.
- The biggest cinema company in Lyon; they show major American movies along with mainstream French titles.
- There are two cinema's under this brand, with one of the branches specialising in avant-garde programmes.
- This independent cinema shows a range of avant-garde and foreign titles in their original format. It's recently been renovated, giving it a sleek design.
How To Get To Lyon
Most people who book a flight to Lyon will be heading for the international airport situated 25 kilometres from the city. Here you can book car hire from Lyon Airport and incorporate this cosmopolitan city into a wider French travel plan, or stick with a taxi or bus to delve into the city whilst being driven by a local.
Where To Stay In Lyon
If you want to stay in the heart of the city, then there are various boutique and mainstream hotels on offer, alongside bed and breakfasts and small family-run affairs that are typical of any French destination. Alternatively you can choose one of the campsites located around the edge of the city. Camping is great if you are after cheap holidays to Lyon and want to explore its wonders without having to stay in an expensive rented room.